Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Tropic Thunder

The ARC of Georgia is taking a lead on the protests around the state for the movie.The Executive Director, Deidre O' Brien, sent us the postings from the last two days.

Partner grads Jennifer Carroll and Nina Dasher are organizing the protests in their cities. If anyone has seen the movie,or attends a protest,please let us know what happened and we'll post your comments.

It begs the question,"when is it okay to laugh at others and ourselves?" Has this movie gone too far and what needs to be done?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I did not see the movie Tropic Thunder so I can not comment on the entire film. People from The Arc who did see it reported the repeated use of the "R" word so that was enough for me to want to stop the movie from showing. One clip that I did see must have set us back 50 years as evidenced by the comments made by the Augusta councelman, and subsequent post on the web, that neighborhoods would not be safe if people with "R" lived in their neighborhood. The scene I am referring to is the one where he opened a can of soda and held it down to his crotch and the foam came spewing from the can. What a horrible depection to show a nation and connect that to a certain population. How unjust and untrue. The Arc of Effingham did do a protest in front of the theatre. We handed out flyers with facts about intellectual disabilitaies made available by The Arc. Most of the people who would not take the flyers were "young adult males". I hope the momentum to improve the acceptance of all people with disabilities continues. Let's make this hate crime a law. As far as laughing at ourselves. We can do that when a laugh is based on truth and with love. Other than that, only those with no respect will laugh or call names. My Mother taught me better even before I became involved with people with disabilities. Now I fully understand the pain of disability and have come to make it my job to educate others about equality. Nina