Saturday, January 24, 2009

Legislator's Responses

Throughout this year's session, I will post legislator's responses to your emails and letters. Keep checking back here to see what they are saying about our issue.Here is a fantastic letter from one of Georgia's Partner in Policymaking graduates (Note that Jackie put "I live in your district" in her email's subject line):
Dear Rep. Walker,

Subject: Re: I live within District 107
RE: Unlock the Waiting List
I live within your district and have also had the privilege of hearing you speak at a Town Hall meeting that was held at Gwinnett County School's Instructional Support Building. Our 13 year old daughter, is currently on the waiting list for a MRWP (Mental Retardation Waiver Program) and has been waiting for a little over 2 years. She has autism and is totally nonverbal. She has severe learning disabilities and requires lots of care and support. Since she turned 13, her behaviors have become more challenging. Our family is in need of support on how to guide her and help her.

Since she has the mental capacity of someone much younger, we are not able to leave her alone. It requires that I be at home to see her off to school and meet her bus in the afternoon. Needless to say, I am not able to work fulltime and that further inhibits us from being able to afford needed services. She requires help with her personal care and all other activities, even going to bed. My husband works many hours to support us and I am She's primary caretaker. We do not get to spend any time together as a couple and our son is also asked to make sacrifices no child should have to make. I dread to think of
what single parents are doing to survive and take proper care of their child with disabilities.

Please do not cut support to families like ours, who are in desperate need of help. Ask them to do all they can to find funds to offer support for those who are on the waiting lists for waivers.

If you have any questions or wish to contact me, I can be reached at [phone number]

Thank you,
Jackie McNair
Len Walker wrote back:
From: Len Walker
To: "Jackie McNair"
Subject: Re: I live within District 107
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 19:13:02 +0000

Jackie,
Thank you for this reminder. This, as you know, is an issue of enormous
importance. I will certainly do all I can.
Sincerely,
Len Walker
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

No comments: