Monday, August 31, 2009

Legacy of Ted Kennedy

By Sharon Capers
August 29, 2009


Even though I come from a conservative background, I was captivated by the Eulogy for Senator Edward Kennedy. I was most moved by the words of his son, Edward Kennedy Jr. He spoke about losing a leg when he was 12 to cancer and trying to adjust to an artificial limb. He mentioned a time when it was snowing outside and his father suggested they sled down a big hill.

The son slipped on the icy steep driveway and began to cry saying "I can't do this; I will never be able to climb up that hill." Edward Kennedy Jr's voice broke as he spoke of his father's reply, "I know you can do it, there's nothing that you can't do and we're going to climb that hill together even it takes us all day." And they did.The son went on to speak about how his father admired perseverance and told him, " It is what we do with that loss that transforms it into a positive event". Senator Kennedy was a HUGE advocate for those with disabilities and much more. I hope that with his loss we each can carry on his legacy in some small way. It may be an uphill battle with many budget cuts and the proposed health care reform. But together we can change the world.

Sharon Capers
sharoncapers@yahoo.com

No comments: