Thursday, November 15, 2012

"Disability Community Involvement—Making Their Voice Count, by Raising Our Voices" An Advocacy Story by Norma Stanley


For most people, it isn’t until an issue or situation personally impacts them before they hone in on the challenges they and others like them are facing, and begin working for positive change.  That’s the case for the millions of people going full-throttle behind campaigns to raise funds for specific causes, lobbying for bills to change legislation, generating awareness about the issues and personally advocating for those who can’t do it for themselves.

That was definitely the case with me.  Although I was always sympathetic to the challenges people with disabilities faced, I never really thought about how difficult it was for the families to manage the various aspects of those challenges.  That was until I had my daughter, Sierra, 24 years ago, who was born with cerebral palsy.  It was at that time that I decided I was going to do everything within my power to ensure that she and others like her, had what they needed to live their best life possible.

Figuring out how to advocate for my daughter was something else again.  I admit it, I’m not one to stand in pouring down rain or the scorching hot sun carrying signs and shouting out messages.  I fully support and encourage their efforts; it’s just not the way I felt I could be most effective.

However, as a public relations and multicultural marketing professional for many years, as well as working as a freelance journalist, I decided I could make the most impact by doing what I did best…telling the stories and sharing the facts through the media.  So I began writing about the people, their needs, their families, their challenges, their achievements, the services, the supporting businesses and organizations, the advocates, the government, etc.  Whenever and wherever I could infuse key messages about the disability community, I did just that. 

I did it by writing my book, The Elected Lady—Finding Victor in the Challenge (Words of Faith, Reflections and Inspiration for Mothers of Special Needs Children and Other Moms), in the hopes that it would bless other moms like myself, with its spiritual content, poems and personal accounts of the trials and triumphs of four mothers handling their children’s disabilities.  The book also includes personal stories from Kate Gainer, a well-known staunch disability activist in the Atlanta community, who did not let the fact that she was born with cerebral palsy stop her from having a full life, including getting married!  Kate has been an integral part of successful initiatives on behalf of the disability community through various organizations, including the Georgia Council of Developmental Disabilities and she continues to inspire me.

As a multicultural marketing and PR consultant, I raise my voice by developing workshops to help educate companies on the value of designing and executing marketing programs targeted to the disability community, the largest minority community in the nation (56 million people), encompassing every race and economic status.  I also do it by encouraging clients to financially support the various organizations within the disability community, via their corporate social responsibility efforts.

I volunteer my time, professional expertise and financial support to non-profits like AADD, Dentistry for the Developmentally Disabled, All Children Are Special and others whenever I can.  In addition, I share as many positive stories about the amazing things people with disabilities are doing across the country and the little-known achievements being made and spoken about, on my online radio talk show, “Exceptional People, Exceptional Lifestyles.”

These are the ways I try to raise my individual voice and make it count on behalf of my daughter and the many families of children with disabilities and it has been a blessing to serve.  I encourage you to raise your voice in whatever way you feel comfortable and inwardly led, to speak up, stand up and show up for the disability community and the many mental, physical, financial and emotional challenges families are facing every day.  It’s easy, it’s fun and it’s worth it.  Let’s be sure to make our voices count- for them.


No comments: