Sunday, March 26, 2006

Predicting the 06 Election ballot...

We have already heard of announcements and rumors about who will be running for the state level races in Georgia. For example the Valdosta Daily Times reports that Rep. Ron Borders, Valdosta-D has announced his retirement.
In a press release, he said: “I have enjoyed my eight years of representing the folks of Valdosta and Lowndes County and I thank them for the opportunity to represent them in their General Assembly. “The many pieces of important legislation, the tax dollars we have been able to return to the people in the form of grants and projects, the infrastructure and road improvements and the building projects that have aided in the growth and development of Valdosta Technical College and Valdosta State University have had a positive and beneficial impact on South Georgia. “When I am asked to name a single piece of legislation that I authored that has had the greatest impact, locally and statewide, I would have to rank the ‘Sales Tax Holiday’ as No.1.”
We already posted a report saying that Rep Mickey Channell, Greensboro-D, Butch Parrish, Swainsboro-D and Richard Royal, Camilla-D are considering switching parties. The Moultrie Observer also reported today that Rep Royal is considering making the switch.
“Everybody up here has asked me that. My standard answer is I’m keeping all my options open. After this session, I’m going home to the district. I’m going to visit with people on both sides of the aisle to help me make up my mind. I haven’t made up my mind, but I’m going to run for sure,” Rep. Richard Royal, D-Camilla, said Thursday.
He went on to explain some recent frustration...
Royal said he thinks his party is moving further left and has picked bad fights during the legislative session, such as wanting the whole caucus to vote against the HOPE scholarship constitutional amendment and introducing an amendment to the budget to remove $60 million from Medicaid to increase state and teacher salaries. “This $60 million would have been devastating to elderly people, and unfortunately people who don’t have health care are without resources,” he said.
Let us know if you hear any other news...

No comments: