Friday, February 18, 2011

I recently received this from a dear advocate in Carrollton;

My daughter is now 39 yrs. old, and even before her birth I was an advocate for disabilities as a speech therapist/audiologist.  It seems that we parents and those who work “in the system” are the only ones who truly “care” about the current and future care of our family members.  I have sought help from politicians, some of whom have had children with disabilities, and yet our needs always come up short.  What more can we do??  I am now in my 70s and have little energy because of my own health problems.  But for the rest of my life I will continue to do all I can for those like my daughter.

The facts: There are over 17,000 aging family members in Georgia caring for an individual with developmental disabilities. Our waiting list continues to grow every year by at least 700-900 due to students graduating high school. The state revenues are simply not enough to handle the demand of our families.

We need to ask our legislators to update our out of date tax system to better protect us from economic downturns and bring more revenue into our state.  The following legislators are deciding on tax reform and recommendations from a Tax Council that was formed last year and need to hear from our families the following message:

Cut and paste the paragraph below and the bolded sentence, sign your name and write a few personal sentences like our advocate did above:

For my child and for thousands of others across Georgia, it is critical for the state to increase revenue in order to provide needed services for individuals with developmental disabilities. By updating our out dated tax system, please look for ways to increase revenues   during this legislative session to fund individuals on the waiting list.


For solutions that take a balanced approach, review 2020 Georgia’s recommendations.

Send to the following legislators asap:

 The Honorable Larry O'Neal, State Representative, District 146: 

The Honorable Stacey Abrams, State Representative, District 84: stacey.abrams@house.ga.gov,

The Honorable Jan Jones, State Representative, District 46: 

 The Honorable Steve Thompson, State Senator, District 33: 

Advocacy matters.  Thank you,

Rita Young

No comments: