Monday, July 14, 2008

Update from Commissioner Walker on the Executive Order for restructuring DHR.

From the DHR’s Office of Communications:

I have heard from many of you in the form of surveys and focus groups on ways that I can improve communications with employees. I thank you for your feedback and want to introduce new communications directly from me. As an agency, we are experiencing important changes. I want to ensure that all employees are made aware of these changes and how these changes may affect us.

You can expect regular updates on:
•Governor’s Executive Order on Restructuring
•DHR’s Budget
•DHR’s Internal Reorganization

Today’s Topic: Executive Order Restructuring Update
On February 4th, Governor Perdue signed an Executive Order which announced a Taskforce to review the duties of DHR and make recommendations for reform. For the full Executive Order:
http://dhr.georgia.gov/DHR/DHR_CommonFiles/Executive_Order.pdf

Since The Announcement
I'd like to take a moment to briefly describe for you what has happened since the announcement:
First, I want you to know that I am fully engaged in what happens to us as an agency. I stepped out of my role as Commissioner. I then asked two questions: “What’s best for the state of Georgia? What problem can we solve to serve Georgians if we reorganize?” Based on decades of leading change initiatives in health and human services, I am confident that we are on track.

Second, I, along with the DHR Leadership Team have informed and educated the Taskforce on DHR - how we operate and deliver our services, and who our customers are around the state.

Third, I have submitted my recommendation to the Taskforce on how best to reorganize our agency, our services, and how these recommendations will ultimately impact our customers. This is a process of questions and no one knows the answers right now. So as a part of this process, it was important for me to think through the following questions:
•Is DHR organized the best way to most effectively and efficiently do its work?
•What is DHR’s core business?
•From a Public Health standpoint, should our core business include health outcomes and/or service delivery?
•How can we position Mental Health so that all state agencies can utilize its services to the fullest?

These are all questions that are still at the table. There is no one best way to organize to deliver health and human services. It is a matter of what works best for the State of Georgia and the many families we serve.

July 2nd - There will be a report from the Taskforce on restructuring health and human services in Georgia that will impact DHR. However, no organizational or substantive changes will be made on July 2nd.

July 15th - All staff are invited to attend the All–Staff Meeting Videoconference as I will be discussing this topic and others.

To some, change can be difficult. I would like to encourage each of you to look forward to this new direction for DHR. Regardless of the number of years of service that we have worked for DHR, this is our agency, this is our legacy.
Sincerely,
B.J. Walker

No comments: