Monday, July 14, 2008

What a difference the Partners Class can make:

I recently had a mediation meeting with our local school system. They had pushed at the IEP meeting to place my daughter at an Elementary School (4th school for her in 4 years) in a self contained first grade special ed mild class, no mainstreaming indicated. I have fought back. Well, I got exactly what I thought best for my daughter. This fall, she will attend our neighborhood elementary school, with her brothers!! Not only that, I have gotten her retained back to kindergarten, so she will be in REGULAR ED K at our home school!! I just have to say, this mediation would not have been possible without my Partners Training! It gave me the knowledge, confidence, and skills to walk in to that meeting alone and walk out feeling victorious and heard, and getting what I believe is best for my child.

I have also gotten the honor of serving on the peer review panel as a consumer reviewer for the CDMRP (Congressionally Directed Medical Research Program) for TSC (Tuberous Sclerosis Complex). It will be wonderful opportunity to score the research proposals. This money is from the DOD, which is what I go to Washington in the spring time to advocate for. So, now I get to be a part of how that money is spent. I had to interview with the Department of Defense, but was selected, so I'm really excited about the chance to learn the process.
--
Dee Triemer
Chair, TS Alliance of Atlanta/ N GA
www.tsalliancegeorgia.org

No comments: