Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Program Helps Autistic Adults Find Jobs

Agency: Enable America, Inc.

Every other Tuesday, you'll find this group at St. Michael's Harbour in Hermitage. What brings them together is autism. They all have it and say their disability has prevented them from finding employment.

"I need help because I've been trying to find a job for a year, and I've had no such luck," Daniel Shuler said. Shuler just joined the group TAP, or Transition to Adulthood Program. It helps him and others find success after high school.

"There was really no support system there to help with employment and help people understand at a college level the difficulties he faces on a daily basis," TAP parent Kathy Modak said.

"Because of the social difficulties, they have a hard time navigating the world and the social world. So we developed the program to help them navigate and understand the social world and then how to look for a job," Christina Long, Director of Autistic Services at St. Michael's Harbor, said.

And the program's working. John Dutcher's been in it for a year now, and has gotten a job at Walmart. "It's changed me for the better. I'm more respectful of people because I have something to look forward to. I have a lot of friends in the program, and I wouldn't want it any other way," Dutcher said.

And it's giving hope to those just starting. "I'm hoping I inspire people, to show them there is help out there and to go for their goals, reach for the stars," Shuler said.

The non-profit group runs mainly on donations. To find out how you can help, visit www.stmichaelsharbour.com.

http://www.enableamerica.org/disability-news-2009-09-30-autismreport.html

Source: WYTV.com

© 2002 - 2009 Enable America, Inc.

No comments: